Your Engagement Session Questions Answered
When should we schedule our session?
Ask yourself a couple of questions to help you answer this question. Do you want your photos outdoors? If so, you might want to consider the season. Especially in the south, most couples choose to have their engagement photos taken during the Spring or Fall. That way they have a good chance at comfortable temperatures and beautiful spring flowers or fall leaves. Another thing to consider is whether or not you will be using your engagement photos for Save the Dates. If so, be sure to plan your session early enough to have the photos edited and the Save the Dates ordered well in advance of your wedding.
What should we wear?
Here are a few tips I like to share when you’re thinking about what to wear for your engagement session:
- Avoid being too matchy-matchy. The days of wearing matching white t-shirts and jeans are long gone. Hooray! You’ll want what you wear to complement each other, not copy! (Using a pop of color to tie both of your outfits together always works well). I suggest starting with the bride’s outfit of choice, and dressing the groom to complement her.
- For women, avoid shirts or dresses that are baggy or super-loose. Sometimes the camera can exaggerate the looseness in the clothing, which can cause one to appear more round than they really are. This is not to suggest an extremely tight look, but slightly fitted is better than very flowy.
- Schedule a session that includes at least one change of clothes. It’s always good to switch things up a bit and if you change locations, it will essentially be like you had two photo shoots. One dressier option and one casual option is usually perfect!
- Solid colored clothing items are great, and if you want to bring in a pattern, have only one person wearing the pattern.
- Wear what you feel comfortable in. If you’re not comfortable in what you’re wearing, it often shows in the images.
- If you choose to wear heels and you are not accustom to walking in heels, also bring flip-flops or other shoes that you can be more comfortable in while walking in-between shots.
- Try on everything a few days before the shoot. You’ll want to make sure your clothes fit correctly and you don’t have distractions from panty lines, bra straps, poor fitting clothing, or wrinkles!
Should I get my makeup professionally done?
There are many benefits to getting your makeup done professionally:
- Makeup looks different on-camera than in-person. A professional makeup artist will know how much more makeup you’ll need to show well on camera and make you look your best!
- It’s a great trial run for your wedding day! You can find out what works and what doesn’t, make adjustments before your wedding day, and get comfortable with your makeup artist.
- If you aren’t able to schedule professional makeup, no worries. Just consider a slightly more dramatic look than you would wear on a daily basis. Especially a bolder lip. The camera will love it!
Should we bring props?
This is completely up to you! If there are certain items that reflect something about you guys or your story that you would like to incorporate into photos, bring them (hats, fun shoes, a pet, sports paraphernalia, a car, bicycles, etc.)! If you have any fun signs or other props for a great “save the date” shot for you to use, bring those as well.
Is there anything else we should bring?
Bring powder to help eliminate any shine on the skin, lipstick, and hairspray for any flyaway hairs. Some couples bring lotion if their skin tends to look dry quickly. Other than that you’re good to go! Be ready to have some fun!
***Don’t forget about your nails! Your ring and therefore your hand will be highlighted in photos so make sure your nails look nice. Guys don’t require a manicure, but make sure their nails are clean and neatly trimmed.
Make sure your engagement session reflects your personalities or interests as a couple. Choose a location that is special to you or you really enjoy visiting. Another option is to choose an at home lifestyle session where you can really relax. There are no rules!